Friday, December 22, 2006

Unqualified

So in those exciting pre-Christmas shopping days, my family and I went to the mall. Mind you we were not shopping for others...oh no; we were quite happily, selfishly buying a new bedspread for the lovely bed my husband just built for us (yeah!).
But I digress; the shopping isn't the point. The shopping is only the reason we happened to be out 'in the world' where homeschooling moms get blasted. You know that verse in Proverbs ("they will praise her in the city gates"...that must not include Sears in Sarnia.)
After beautiful comments on the number and appearance and behaviour of my children, one lady decided to give me her opinion on the fact that we homeschool. Now I'm used to many categories of comments, as I'm sure you are. Typically it is "Oh I could never do that", "You must be so patient and organized", " What about socialization?" and so on. But for what I think was the first time, I heard "What qualifications do you have to teach your children?"
Oh.
Now after having a few days to think about it, I have some excellent answers: For example, I love my children more than any public school teacher could, no matter how well trained she may be.
However, what I said probably sounded quite pathetic: "Oh, you know, you don't really have to be qualified at all. I mean, the curriculum choices online are amazing and most of them script every word you have to say (which sounds like "I'm really pretty stupid and unable to think on my own, so I need the publisher to tell me how to explain what a noun is."). Then I did try to cover my bases by saying "Well, I did go to university," which seemed to earn me some favour in this lady's eyes.
Still, I have been asking myself since then, what does make me think I am qualified to teach my children? Here is the answer I've come up with: The Lord, who is all wise, chose me to be the mom of these little ones, and it was He who put the burden on my heart to homeschool. If He says so, it must be, that I am able to teach my children.
I usually am not a big fan of those quippy signs in front of churches, but one of those slogans keeps coming to mind in this context: God doesn't call the equipped, He equips those He calls. Sounds like us doesn't it? Do you remember the people being amazed at the apostles' teaching because they were uneducated men? However, because of their skill and ability, and because of their lack of education, the people could then "know" that they had been with the Lord. This is the only qualification I want or need. I want to be the kind of woman, wife, mother, and homeschooler who can stand out in the world as being unqualified, except for having been with the Lord.
Lord, May I spend so much time at Your feet and in Your Word that I am clearly, and visibly trained by You.

No comments: