Monday, January 22, 2007

I'll Take That!

For the last several years I've found myself in front of the Lord making a list of the 'callings' He's given me. I keep finding my life getting busy, and finding the fruit of my labours being kind of mediocre. So it drives me back to the drawing board, or more literally the list in my journal, to say "Lord, who have You called me to be? What roles do You say I need to fill?"

There are a couple of obvious ones: I am married, therefore I have to fill the role of wife. I have 6 children, therefore I have to fill the role of mother. I am committed to homeschooling, therefore I have to fill the role of teacher. I have parents who are still living, therefore I have to fill the role of daughter. And so on. The other less obvious roles are the ones that come to the front of my 'why am I so busy?" dillemma. Am I really called to be a worship leader? Am I really called to be of influence in small groups? Am I really called to do any number of things I enjoy?

The Lord says He will not give us more than we can handle. He also showed us that it is possible to live in such a way that you can get all your work done in 6 days so the 7th can be a day of rest. If I feel I have too much to handle, or if I find myself wanting to 'catch up' on Sundays then I have overfilled my schedule with things that are not of Him.

In the meantime, while I weed out and edit the clutter from my life I have this promise: 1 Thes. 1:24 "He who has called you is faithful and He will bring it to pass." So once I scale my life down to just the roles He's called me to, I can trust Him to bring them to pass. He will equip, He will enable, He will direct...I'll just follow and go along for the ride. I'll take that promise Lord. I will happily let You show me how to be a mom, a wife, a teacher, a daughter...and whatever else you are clearly calling me to. Bring it to pass, as only You beautifully, completely can.

No comments: