Friday, August 28, 2009

Absence Makes the Heart Grow....

There you are; sitting as a family in your only-just-enough-seatbelts vehicle. Driving somewhere just longer than anyone wants to go today. And it starts. Nothing major. No hitting. No shoving. No “Dad, she’s BREATHING on me.” Just small little verbal jabs. Just little changes in tone creating a more sarcastic, biting air. No one is fighting, per se. No one is looking to be vindicated by mom. Just tense. Just nit picky, irritated eye-rolling and sighing.

What’s a mom to do?

I’ll tell you what I did today. I thought about how much time the kids spend together. All seven of them. Crammed into the van. Sharing bedrooms. Three meals a day. All the same friends. All the same activities. School together, play together, work together, sleep together. Yikes! That’s a lot of time up close and personal with the same gang!

And I thought, maybe they’d be happier and enjoy one another more if.....


Please read the rest of my latest article here at Heart of the Matter Online.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Love this...definitely worth the extra mouse click to get over to the other site!! It's a great message, and its applicability definitely isn't limited to parenting. Thanks for posting!

halfpint said...

Thanks for sharing friend. This is why awhile ago I put my middle two beside each other at the dinner table :)I figure that three times a day they MUST sit next to each other and learn to be pleasant. Love your pic, off the 'library' wall?