Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Battling Depression Part Two

As time went by, and the darkness didn’t lift, I found myself in a place of desperation. My husband, shortly after the birth of our fourth daughter and approximately 9 months into my depression said to me, “Will I always have a wife who is depressed?” He said it not in an accusing way, nor in a frustrated way: he seemed to be simply trying to prepare himself for what the rest of our lives (and therefore, his responsibilities) might look like. And in that moment I knew something needed to change. I didn’t know what, and I didn’t know how, but I knew, with newly found resolve, that I could not carry on like this for the sake of my husband and children. My husband was (and still is) a very hands-on dad, but he did have a full time job and it was unreasonable for me to expect him to pick up all my pieces too. But where to start? I continued going through the motions of parenting and daily life, and I continued willing myself to get better. I’m sure you can imagine the level of success that brought.

The turning point for me was in June of 2002. During the quiet prayer time at our church’s ladies’ retreat, I read a verse that I am sure I had never noticed in my bible before that day.


Please read Part Two of my Heart of the Matter series here.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

So powerful, Barbara. Again, thanks for sharing your struggle, I pray that women will be blessed and ministered to through your words.

Robin Saylor said...

Beautiful!
Thank you for sharing your story.
I am moved.

Anonymous said...

I too have battled and overcome depression. I used Scripture and turning my negative coping skills to healthy ones. It was a 2 year process for me but with God's grace he helped me to overcome.