Thursday, February 1, 2007

Another Answer to "Why Homeschool?"

Opening the Word to Psalm 1 this morning, I see another part of the blessings the Lord grants when we homeschool. Hear this Word and its promise:

How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither; and in whaterver he does he prospers.
What I see here is an encouragement to keep my children away from certain types of people and certain types of structures that would be classified as wicked, sinners, and scoffers. This of course includes my own home. As a family we need to foster the opposite traits in our home: wisdom, righteousness, truth.

But then there is also the encouragent to teach my children to delight in the law of the Lord and to teach the discipline of meditation. It is not enough to not fill them with junk; I need to proactively fill them with the Word and a deep love for it.

Then comes the promise: as I am faithful to homeschool in such a way as to meet those conditions and to create that kind of environment, the Lord is faithful to produce in my children steadfastness, fruitfulness, courage, and prosperity. This is my goal as a homeschooler. I don't merely want 'smart' children; I want mighty oaks that stand out amongst the barren twigs of this world. Make it so, Lord. More of You in our home and in our lives. Help me to have this end as my focus, not simply academics.

No comments: