Thursday, May 17, 2007

Want to know a Secret?

Be prepared to amaze your friends and shame your enemies. Be prepared to thrill your taste buds and satisfy your dietician. Be prepared to silence your sweet tooth and still maintain your New Year's Resolution to cut out the junk. Here is my (soon to be) world famous recipe for:

Shockingly Yummy, Yet Brilliantly Healthy

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins!

(really wish I knew how to add a sound clip of wild applause here)

3 cups whole wheat flour

2 cups chocolate chips (okay so that isn't healthy, but everything else will justify it)

6 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt (or less)

2 cups unsweetened apple juice

2 eggs (okay, so slightly un healthy)

3 large bananas, mushed (I like to leave mine a little chunky)

(notice there is no added sugar or oil in this mix! You'll notice it on paper but not in flavour!)


Mix first four ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add remaining 3 ingredients to the well and beat them together slightly before stirring the whole thing together. Now spoon this into your greased muffin pans (or sprayed with Pam etc.). Bake at 375F for 17 minutes. Voila! Delectable, easy, wonderful yumminess. Makes 24 (which for the 5 of my kids who eat solids are all gone in one breakfast....I'm not kidding)


This morning I made them "surprise" muffins by making one dozen as above, and for the other dozen I filled the muffin tins half full, then added a dollop of raspberry jam (or pie filling etc) and then finished filling them with the muffin batter. When they were baked you couldn't tell one from the other and the kids were delighted to find the surprises in some of them.


So there you are. I love this breakfast. I have the recipe memorized now and can have the batter ready before the oven has heated up, so it feels like a real quick and easy thing to do in the morning. Please let me know if you try them how you like them. Enjoy!

No comments: