Friday, May 21, 2010

Foodie Fridays

I'm posting a recipe today that I have never made. Not once. And do you know why? Because my mom is a saint and she makes this for me every so often and brings it over "so you don't have to cook, dear. You're so busy with housework and homeschooling. You can have a break". Like tonight. She's coming tonight, and I can hardly wait! She's bringing a salad, bread, and this yummy casserole. This recipe is one of my favourite things. Total comfort food happiness. My grandma likes to say of it, "Well, this can't hurt you. Nothing bad in it. It's all good stuff." And you need to know, whenever I hear her say that I know she is totally wrong. This stuff will kill you over time. :-) There isn't a fresh, unrefined calorie in this dish. There are 3 fresh veggies listed in the ingredients and two of them are "optional". And I don't even care. We get to eat this so rarely, and we eat so fresh-veggie-non-refined so typically that I don't feel even the slightest pang of guilt for noshing on this every once in awhile.

Do enjoy this, please. Or if you don't want to make it, give the recipe to your mom and make her cook it for you :-)

Chicken Tettrazini by Linda Sadler (from the Crumlin United Church Anniversary Cookbook)

2 c. diced cooked chicken (or turkey)
1 green pepper diced (optional)
1 clove garlic minced (optional)
2 cans of cream of celery soup
1/4 pound Velveeta Cheese
1/4 c. butter
1 onion diced
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. milk
1/2 to 1 pkg. 1/2" egg noodles
1/4 pound mild cheddar cheese

In butter, saute green pepper, garlic and onion. Add chicken, soup, mushrooms, milk, and salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes. Cook noodles as directed on package. Grate cheddar and Velveeta cheese. Place a layer of chicken mixture in small roaster pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 of cheddar cheese. Place a layer of noodles over top of the cheese layer. Sprinkle with 1/2 the Velveeta. Repeat layers. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Serves 8-10 people.

And you need to know, my mom and I have been known to reheat this in the microwave or a frying pan (with a little more butter...*ahem*. I'm feeling the need to go for a run) and still eat a few spoonfuls cold while we are waiting. Decadent!

Enjoy! (I know I will! Hurry up, Supper Time!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the post, then the recipe and was sure I was going to see your Mom's yummy perogies!
Joanna