Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Needful Word

I have had a "thought" niggling away at me for some time now. Sort of inocuously for a good long time, but fairly potently unhealthy of late. My pride prohibits me from flat out telling you what this ridiculous fear/worry/thought was, but suffice it to say that it was a radical waste of time and energy. Truly an irrational fear.

So this morning, as I've been knowing I need to somehow uproot this thought from the dirt of my mind, I read Psalm 147: 10-11...

"His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor his pleasure in the legs of a man, but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love."
Now what you need to know, is that that verse speaks in a very specific way to this weed of a thought my brain was tending. If you know me in real life, you could ask me what that is specifically and I might get brave enough to tell you.

But here is what I want to tell you today, and what I hope you will have the faith to experience: The Bible speaks on every subject, touches on every worry, explains every quandry, and answers every question that you may be mulling over. Sometimes in ridiculously clear ways. Sometimes you'll say "well, that's ironic" or "I didn't see that coming" or "has this verse always been here? I've never noticed it before."

Ask the Lord to speak to you through his word. Trust him to do it. You'll be amazed at what the Word actually says about all of today's present concerns. This is not an outdated book. This is a guideline and a help for your immediate circumstance. He will speak to you. Will you listen?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Barb. Something I needed to hear. :)

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

It is amazing how often a verse I've read many times suddenly seems to jump of the page, exactly what I needed to address something I'm dealing with right then.

Thanks for the reminder. :)