Monday, November 27, 2006

Believing Without Seeing

My precious little 5 month old daughter learned to roll over on Saturday. I believe that to be true...even though I didn't actually see it.

I was working in the kitchen knowing that my wee girl was on her mat behind me, laying on her back. The next time I looked, she was on her belly. Shocked, and yet thrilled, I rolled her over and praised her up. Again, in no time, she was on her belly again. I had not seen it happen, and yet clearly the proof is there in the fruit. (and for you sceptics, no her brother did not roll her over!)

Shortly after that I determined that I would see her do it! So, keeping to my work, but with one eye on her mat I did finally see some movement in my peripheral vision that was almost like seeing her roll over....

All this made me think of Job. A passage that has warmed my heart on many occassion is Job 23:8-9. "Behold, I go forward but He is not there, and backward but I cannot perceive Him; when He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right, I cannot see Him."

This has been my experience on many occassions; have you felt the same? Like you are chasing God but can't find Him? You are waiting to see Him move but you miss Him each time? The doubt in your heart pulls you to believe that He is not there, that He is not moving in your life. But thankfully Job continues:

"But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold." (vs.10)

When we don't see Him, we need to look for the fruit of His hands and follow that path. The quiet times of not hearing and seeing the Lord are often times of 'trying' and 'purifying' so that we come forth as gold.

I didn't see my baby roll, but I believe she did because of the visible result of her acting. I may not always clearly see the Lord, or sense His presence, or hear His voice, but as clearly as I see the fruit of His acting I will believe He is here.

No comments: